LeBAH Portal Framework
Portal is a web-based application that act as a container for other applications called portlets. LeBAH is a lightweight web portal system.
Webmaster can use LeBAH portal as to build a corporate websites. They can use LeBAH's Content Management Modules – such as online Rich Text Editor to post or edit content directly on the portal's page, online file explorer to create, edit and manage files (html, images and others), online community tools such as discussion forum, news and chatbox, and different styles of page layout to choose from together with various themes (or skins) to change the appearance of the webpages.
Java developers can use the LeBAH framework to create web-applications that can run within the LeBAH portal. LeBAH also support generic portlets (currently support JSR168) that can be deployed into the LeBAH portal.
LeBAH provides an Ajax-based module which implement a simple to use Ajax functions, so that web developers can easily develop an application using Ajax calls.
Download and run LeBAH
You can download a LeBAH portal from the sourceforge download site, and then right away run it. There are NO installation needed. Just download and unzip the lebahportal_1.2.zip into a directory, and click on the file runServer.bat.
Then type the URL
into your web browser address bar.
To login as a portal administrator, username = admin, password=admin.
To login as a web master, username = anon, password=anon.
LeBAH as a Framework to build Web Application
As mentioned above, Java programmers can develop web-based application using the LeBAH Framework. The advantage of using this frameworks are:
1. Beginner programmers don’t have to learn about servlets to create a web-based application.
2. Most of the basic requirement for an application has been taken care of by the LeBAH portal, which are:
a. User Login
b. Users Management
c. Users Privilleges – Which group of users have access to which part of your modules
d. Portal’s Themes – The look and feel of the portal is being controlled by CSS
e. Multiple Roles support – You can assign more than one roles to a user (with one login)
3. LeBAH page request is silently using an Ajax function (without you even know about it), which means, you as a programmer, do not need to learn Ajax to use Ajax in LeBAH.
4. Every portlet in LeBAH is an Ajax based portlet. This make the portlet do request (whenever you click a button or a link) in it’s own section of the portal, without refreshing the whole browser’s page as in ‘traditional’ website page request.
5. For database driven application, LeBAH has provided a easy yet powerful template.
6. LeBAH also promote the use of Java Persistence API to create database driven application.
I have provided a simple Hello World tutorial for the very beginner. Click the link “LeBAH Hello World Tutorial” above.